Monday, December 16, 2019

A Chocolate Fix

     Hi everyone, I thought I would share something interesting and kind of funny about something good that happened because of some chocolate desserts.  Dessert is already pretty good as it is, and chocolate actually does help with depression. But yesterday, I was looking at just a picture of chocolate desserts, and my whole outlook changed in a way that I think could be very lasting.  I have had religion problems for a long time, and felt an excessive sense of responsibility for people’s spiritual wellbeing and safety, and several years ago became more fretful about other problems in the world and poverty and suffering in our country. I have felt a sense of hopelessness sometimes, thinking that there are too many people who do not have a clue about how to help everyone out there who needs help. 
     But yesterday on facebook, I found a New York Times page featuring their best chocolate desserts, and something about it made me realize and actually believe that there are millions of great people out there who are making the world a better place. That seems kind of stupid, but that is the reason I am writing about it. It is just kind of comical. With all the heroism and miracle medical care interventions I know about, something about the chocolate desserts actually convinced me that there are enough good people to overcome all the world’s evil and problems after all. I just imagined the kind of people who would make those perfect chocolate puddings and cakes and pies, and I thought they must be awesome people, and it made me have a sense that maybe we do have enough good people out there.
    I am writing about it on this mental health blog instead of my regular blog because I think there might be some mental health principles mixed in with why that worked on me like that. My despair has reached delusional proportions at times, but the sight of chocolate pie somehow reached me, and I am now thinking about all the nice school teachers and all the good kids who don’t pick on other kids, and all the medical places and emergency rooms and people in other countries, too, and feeling more hopeful.
     Something about the common-ness of chocolate desserts, and the fact that the people making desserts that good aren’t usually seen as heroes, necessarily, and yet are providing one of the best things you can think of for people, made me feel like the scale must literally be tipped towards happiness.  It is so funny, because I really did look at all the pies and puddings and thought, everyone is going to be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment